This is a set of instructions for finding a particular article in one of the online journals that you can use if you are a matriculated University of Edinburgh student. In this case I knew the article I was looking for (it was from a bibliography from another article).
Let me know what you think about the instructions: can you follow them? Would you prefer more/less detail? Does a visual explanation help (pictures)? Does it make sense? Does this encourage you to go and try something similar for yourself?
- First you need to be logged on. The MyEd login page is a shortcut for several other sites, which in the past required you to have a separate ID and login. So you need to go to MyEd and sign in. Once you’ve done that, lots of things will become available to you.
- Go to the online library. You have probably used the online library in the past but you have not realised that you are doing this – we are so used to finding things on the WWW these days! In your MyEd account you should have a tab for the library – go to that tab. There should be a link there for electronic journals and you should type in the name Recall
- Get the journal. On the window that appears, for this journal there is only one option (sometimes there are a couple of providers – you need to check the dates to make sure that you will choose one that offers the years you want). Click on the link to Cambridge University Press and again a new window might open on your computer.
- Find the volume and article. On the page for the journal, find the link for volume 20 issue 1. Click on the link and you should see a list of the titles of articles. Find the article byAndreas Lund called “Wikis: a collective approach to language production”. There should be a link to click for either the abstract or the pdf of the article; click for the pdf and it should open up. It is then possible to save a copy of that (for personal use only).
- Note the full bibliographic details. This is not really part of the “finding an article” process but it’s a good idea to have a note of the full details: Lund, A 2008 Wikis: a collective approach to language production ReCALL, Volume 20, Issue 01, January 2008, pp 35-54
To see the same instructions in a presentation, go to:
Finding a journal article (using VoiceThread)
Here is the presentation as a series of slides (the powerpoint presentation has been uploaded to Slideshare and then embedded here)